Linear Algebra Fall 2004
M. C. Pinar (email@example.com)
Mondays 15:30-17:00, Thursdays 14:30-17:00.
- Linear Algebra Done Right,
S. Axler, Springer-Verlag, Second Edition (available at the Bookstore).
notes by Attila Aşkar (for reference).
Topics to be covered (in the order below):
- Vector Spaces
- Finite Dimensional
- Linear Maps
- Eigenvalues and
- Inner Product
- Operators on Inner
- Operators on Real
- Operators on Complex Vector Spaces
- Trace and
Make-up policy: It is recommended that you do not miss any examination.
A make-up will only be offered to those with a medical report duly certified
by the University Health Center. The make-up will be given with or after the final
exam and will cover the entire course material.
Please note that the final exam will take place on January 5, 2005 at 9 am in
room EA-502, on the fifth floor of the Engineering Building.
| Test I : 22.11.2004
| Final: 5.1. 2005, 9:00 am
1. Homework 1 is assigned: Exercises 8,13,14,15 from Axler Chapter 1.
Due date: 7.10.2004.
2. Homework 2 is assigned: Exercises 3,4,8,9 from Axler Chapter 2.
Due date: 14.10.2004.
3. Homework 3 is assigned: Exercise 16 from Axler Chapter 2, exercises
3,4,9 from Ch. 3.
Due date: 21.10.2004.
4. Homework 4 is assigned: Exercises
13,16,23,25 from Ch. 3.
Due date: 28.10.2004, by noon.
5. Homework 5 is assigned: Exercises
1,4,5,6 from Ch. 5.
Due date: 4.11.2004.
6. Homework 6 is assigned: Exercises
9,10,13,23 from Ch. 5.
Due date: 17.11.2004.
7. Homework 7 is assigned: Exercises
2,3,4,5 from Ch. 6.
Due date: 8.12.2004.
8. Homework 8 is assigned: Exercises
9,13,18,22 from Ch. 6.
Due date: 17.12.2004.
9. Homework 9 is assigned: Exercises
4,5,6,7 from Ch. 7.
10. Homework 10 is assigned: Exercises
14,28,32 from Ch. 7, Exercises 1,3.
Due date: 3.1.2005.
GENERAL ADVICE ON STUDYING FOR THE COURSE
- It is very important that you come to each class
having read the material to be covered that day. (You will
need to read this material at some point anyway!) Reading it
in advance will help you to understand the lecture better.
It also gives you a chance to ask questions about the parts
you did not understand fully.
- Please come and ask questions during anytime, but especially during
the office hours. This is the time I am available exclusively to
answer your questions.
POLICY ON PLAGIARISM
Cheating has serious consequences. The university policy on
plagiarism will be fully applied if anyone is caught cheating on